Phato District

District’s slogan

Green mountains, rafting, misty ccity, beautiful waterfalls, and famous fruits

District office’s address

Rajkrood-Lang Suan, Moo 8, Phato Subdistrict, Phato District, Chumphon,

Telephone number


Fax number


Phato District is another district of Chumphon which has a long history as it appears in ancient records from the era of Sri Wichai Empire in the year 1223. Originally, Patho District was named “Pata” which means falling or abyss due to the geographic features of the district, as there are many mountain ranges mixed with flatlands alongside rivers and foothills.

During Ayutthaya era, before the second occupation of the Burmese army, some Burmese soldiers passed Phato District to Lang Suan District. Some local people in Phato District set up a group to fight against the Burmese at Chew Khai next to Lang Suan River. But Burmese soldier were led by Kulas who were famous for their strength and patience. They finally defeated villagers in Phato and marched on.

Under the reign of King Rama V, year 1856, Phraya Charoonrajphokhakarn (Khorsimtek of Ranong) was Lang Suan’s governor. He raised the status of Eastern Phato to be Yai City, of which Khun Pakdeeraj (Yai Pakdee) was the governor. As for Western Phato, it became Toi City. The two new cities had to annually pay tributes to Lang Suan. Yai City (Eastern Phato) and Toi City (Western Phato) were obligated to take care of public affairs, and sentence the civil and criminal cases. In the year 1879, a tin mine operated in Baan Park Song. Many Chinese were brought into serve as labours, and consequently made Phato economically important.

In the year 1917, Ministry of Interior considered that Phato District was a crowded area. Many people there pursued ocupations in the local area and settled down. Therefore, the Local Administration Act of 1914 set Phato District to be subordinate to Lang Suan Province. Luang Peang Suphakorn was the first District Chief Officer. It was divided into 4 subdistricts, which were, Eastern Phato, Western Phato, Pang Hwan, and Park Song Subdistricts.

In the year 1937, an epidemic broke out, and killed many people in Phato District. Many people also migrated to other districts. Some believed that they mostly moved to Kapoe and Suk Samran Districts in Ranong Province (presently). As a result, on 1 April 1942, Ministry of Interior changed Phato District to be a minor district, because its population was too little to be qualified as a district. Moreover, Eastern and Western Phato Subdistricts became Phato Subdistrict. Mr. Khien Singkharothai was appointed to be Phato’s first deputy district chief, i.e. the chief of minor district. In the year 1963, a main road between Lang Suan-Rajkrood was constructed. It began from Lang Suan District, passed through Phato District, and ended in Mueang Ranong District. In the year 1967, the first power plant was constructed, and electricity was daily produced from 18.00-24.00. In the same year, the Phato Minor District’ s Agricultural Office was established to support the local agriculture.

In the year 1982, prices of many cash crops increased, especially coffee. Subsequently, people from around the country migrated into Phato Minor District to begin their careers and settled down. With the rapid increase in population, Ministry of Interior changed Phato Minor District to be Phato District again on 19 June 1991, after being a minor district since 1942, with the declaration in the government gazette, book 108, Volume. 107, page 29. Acting Sub-Lieutenant Chayan Nakpet was the first District Chief Officer.


Phato District is one of eight districts in Chumphon. It is located in the southwest of the province, 114 Kilometers away from Mueang District, and 564 Kilometers from Bangkok on Phetkasem Road. The total area is around 635,625 Rai or 1,017 square Kilometers, equivalent to 16.95 of Cumphon’s area. It is the second biggest district of Chumpho

To the north

La-un District, Ranong Province

To the south

Tha Chana and Chaiya Districts, Surat Thani Province

To the east

Lang Suan, Thung Tako, and Lamae District, Chumphon Province

To the west

Mueang Ranong District and Kaphur District, Ranong province